New Fellow Nominations
Nominations for new fellows close at the beginning of August for the 2021 election.
You can download a copy of the nomination form here. Please send the form to both the President and Secretary.
- The nomination process is relatively simple; all you need to do is fill in the Nomination form and send it to me. For those to be considered in the next election, the deadline for receipt of nominations is 1 August, 2021.
- I then contact the nominee, confirm their willingness to stand for election, and then have them complete the more detailed application form. The Executive Committee reviews the nominees to determine if their applications are complete, and then, in early September submits the completed applications to the membership for ballot.
- Typically, scientists who are nominated are either mid-career, showing great promise and accomplishments, or near the end of their career, when their peers feel that they have made major continuing contributions over their professional life.
- There are two areas of Fellowship that are under-represented in IAWS. One is Fellows from developing countries, where the number of refereed scientific contributions, as viewed by the developing world, may be somewhat lacking because of the past or current inability to publish in the leading journals, and/or difficulty with the English language. The other area relates to the few numbers in certain scientific disciplines; if you are in one of those, you are aware of that. The Executive Committee is also interested in election of wood science managers who have had a major impact through their oversight of research activities, without necessarily having the expected number of refereed publications.
- Please spend some time thinking about potential nominees, perhaps looking through the Directory and the listing of Fellows by countries. Since we do not “promote” ourselves to gain members, it is up to the Fellows in the Academy to provide the basis for this recognition.
Prof. Yoon Soo Kim
President International Academy of Wood Science